Day 1:Toward more inclusive economies:
Creating a Fairer Economic System for Those Left Behind
08:00 - 09:00Registration and refreshments
09:00 - 09:15Welcome Remarks
- Antonio Zappulla, Thomson Reuters Foundation CEO
09:15 - 10:15Keynotes
- Jim Smith, President and CEO, Thomson Reuters
- Tina Tchen, Co-Founder, “Time’s Up” Legal Defense Fund
10:15 - 11:30Taking responsibility: the need to create more inclusive economies
From growing wealth inequality, to tax evasion and climate change, this panel explores what needs to change for a global system ‘in crisis’.
- Lady Lynn Forester de Rothschild, Founder and CEO, Coalition for Inclusive Capitalism
- Mohamed Amersi, Chairman, Inclusive Ventures Group
- Gabriela Ramos, OECD Chief of Staff and Sherpa to the G20
11:30 - 12:00Networking Break
12:00 - 12:45Taking Action: Voices from the Frontline
Activists at the forefront of the battle to defend the rights addressed throughout the day share their stories.
- Josh Haner, Senior Editor for Photo Technology, The New York Times
- Ahmad Nawaz, Education and Peace Activist
- Karuna Nundy, Advocate, Supreme Court of India
12:45 - 14:00Lunch
14:00 - 15:15Exploitation, Forced Labour & the Rights of Workers
Those on a mission to improve the lives of working people discuss the ongoing issue of forced labour and exploitation in global supply chains.
- Sharan Burrow, General Secretary, International Trade Union Confederation
- Kalpona Akter, Executive Director of the Bangladesh Center for Worker Solidarity
- Phil Bloomer, Executive Director, Business and Human Rights Resource Centre
15:15 - 15:45In conversation
Antonio Zappulla interviews Monique Villa about her newly released book ‘Slaves Among Us’, telling the story of three survivors of sex and labour trafficking in their own words.
15:45 - 16:15Networking Break
16:15 - 17:15Innovation Spotlights
Organisations present innovative technological solutions to challenges ranging from forced labour and trafficking to sustainable production and climate change.
- Blake Howald, Manager of Data Science, Thomson Reuters Special Services
- Jessica Hubley, Co-Founder and CEO, AnnieCannons
- Livia Firth, Creative Director, Eco Age Limited, and Jessica Simor, Human Rights Barrister, The Circle
- Suleiman Bakhit, CEO, Aranim Media Factory
17:15 - 18:30Drinks reception